A new line of linear positioning slides designed for scanning, R&D, manufacturing, and instrument-testing applications has been developed by engineers at Velmex Inc., Bloomfield, N.Y. They handle loads to 300 lb, over lengths from 5 to 150 in. with 0.003-in. straight-line accuracy and 0.0002-in. repeatability. Dual-tandem and open-frame configurations are available for larger or bulky loads. The slides use NEMA-23 and 34 motors. Leadscrew pitches are 0.1 and 0.4 in., or 2 mm, and leadscrew accuracy is on the order of 0.003 in./10 in.
- Carriage has large mounting surface with eight threaded attachment holes, plus four accessory holes for limit-switch cam or other sensors. S-beam construction with four adjustment bolts minimizes freeplay and compensates for wear.
- Support bearing optimized for constraint and antivibration.
- T-slots provide universal connections to the base for cleat or side mounting, limit switches, framing, and tandeming.
- PTFE bearing pads for low friction and smooth linear motion.
- Hard, alloy aluminum base uses I-beam construction and a hard, anodized surface for strength, light weight, and durability.
- Precision-honed coupling rigidly mates motor to leadscrew.
- Four-bolt plate securely holds motor.
- Nickel-plated lead screw provides smooth operation